Monday, January 27, 2014

Paris (Part One)

A few weeks ago Katie and I decided we needed to go to Paris. Why? Well, I'd never been, I love croissants, and Katie is always up for an adventure. Katie's mom Jill worked for the airlines for years, enabling us to purchase inexpensive tickets (yay!), but on standby (boo!). I'm sure you've all seen how busy flights are these days, so January made sense as its a quiet time for tourism. One of the benefits of flying using Jill's benefits is that we fly business class when it's available. We were super lucky and flew business class both ways. Very nice. 
Our first stop-beautiful Notre Dame.this church was finished in 1350, and is MASSIVE.
I've been looking for a new chandelier for our dining room. This this might work?
It's really beautiful inside.
Passing through charming Parisian streets.
On to church number two-Saint Chapelle. While these two churches are only a few blocks apart and were built around the same time, they couldn't be more different. Saint Chapelle is much smaller and has a gothic feel with big ceilings and massive stained glass.

More charming Parisian buildings.
I was excited to have my first Eiffel Tower spotting. We got much closer a few days later.
On our second day we were thrilled to have a tour guide in Libby! Libby moved to Paris from Seattle when she met the man of her dreams on a college study abroad trip, and has been there for 13 years. Our first stop was the Marais neighborhood for browsing and wandering.
We ate at the most famous falafel place in Paris (the sign says its recommended by Lenny Kravitz). It was delicious.
A lovely gated courtyard. 
This is the Place de Vosges, a charming square surrounded by amazing architecture. Victor Hugo wrote Les Miserables in an apartment behind where we are standing. 

Next stop-the famous Louvre.
The Louvre was originally a royal palace until the King moved to Versailles. It became a museum in 1793 and now houses 30,000 pieces of art. Although it wasn't our intention, Katie and I ended up seeing a large portion of them (its easy to get lost!)
Headed towards the Pyramid.
The Louvre is the most visited museum in the world, and is known for its long lines. The nice thing about Paris in January is that we walked right in without waiting. Amazing.
There are two pieces of art that are famous in the Louvre, the first being the 2,000 year old Venus de Milo. Besides missing a few arms she holds up pretty well.
This picture is blurry (no flash photography allowed) but I really enjoyed this Ancient Greek vase.
It's hard to concentrate on the art as some of the rooms in the old palace are so ornate.
I always appreciate crowned jewels.
The most famous piece of art here is the Mona Lisa. Yes, her eyes follow you.
I was far more impressed by the piece of art across from the Mona Lisa-a gigantic painting of a celebration.
We left the Greeks and Romans and made our way to spend time with Egyptians. These people didn't mess around with the afterlife.
Hieroglyphics. Katie translated for me.
More amazing ceilings in the museum.
Back to the art. I found her fascinating.
These two make a lovely couple.
Rooms and rooms full of art. 
We entered during the day and came out after dark.
Tired feet but happy to have seen the Louvre!

No comments: