Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Santorini

I really like tzatziki sauce. Really, really like it. So much so that I convinced Scotty to go to Greece with me for my birthday so we could eat it every day! I'm too tired and took way too many pictures to cover them all in one post, so I'll start with our first top, the amazing Santorini. Santorini is a white-washed hill town built on the steep cliffs of a volcano rim.

Most of the places to stay are 'cliff houses'-literally built into the side of the cliff. Here's our cute little abode.
Breakfast served on the patio. Sigh.
 We hiked from the town we were staying in (Oia) to the next town over (Fira). Not sure what this sign says but we followed it's directions closely. I think.

A cute little church along the way.
Almost there.
Fira, another hill town built into the cliffs.
I really liked these doors.

At night in Oia the town is full of people waiting for the sun to set. It was a bit crazy.
But worth it! Very pretty.

The windmills don't hurt the effect either.

Like a postcard!

We saw more than ten couples dressed up in wedding attire each night. I assumed that they were there getting married, but the host at the guesthouse said that many Chinese couples come to Santorini to get their pictures take in fancy clothes. Now, why didn't I think of that?
Santorini is also known for their black beaches (it's a volcano)...
And their red beaches.
I think I took 100 pictures of just Oia alone.
Some with us in them!
But mostly just like the one below.
Next stop? Mykonos!

No comments: