Monday, October 2, 2017

Goodbye Nepal

We are sitting here in Kathmandu waiting for the airport transfer to the next destination. A few thoughts on Nepal, in no particular order.

My observation is that the people in Nepal have it slightly better than in India. While it doesn't feel prosperous by any means, people seem happier, more relaxed, and healthier. Maybe it's because the Himalayas bring in a steady stream of tourists/money?

I asked Niraj what his favorite part about Nepal is, and he said the Himalayas (he's biased of course, as that's his job). His least favorite part is government corruption and politics. This answer is similar to Monu's in India. 

Niraj told us he's of the highest caste here. He mentioned that he doesn't care about the caste system, but his mom does and she'd never let him marry someone outside of his caste. She's a single mother and when he moved to Kathmandu to go to college she moved here with him. 

I had no idea that Everest Base Camp is such a draw here. People were shocked that we didn't go all of the way there. Maybe next time? 

Nepal is known for momo's-dumplings filled with veggies or meat. I didn't really like them much. Besides that, they eat a lot of food that I'd consider Chinese-fried rice, chow Mein. 

I tried Nepalese wine. It was really sweet, almost like sangria.

The most common thing eaten on the trek is Dal Bhat-kind of like a full meal deal with lentils, rice, potatoes, and spinach. It's eaten so often on the trek that it becomes a bit of a joke. Dal Bhat power 24 hrs is plastered on tshirts.

We've gotten used to traveling with our own toilet paper, hand sanitizer, and bottled water. You take that stuff for granted in the US.

Niraj and Rajeev never wanted to eat meals with us trekkers (same with Monu in India), and when I went to the back of the guesthouse one day I realized why: they eat with their hands. I'm sure eating with silverware is as weird to them as eating rice your hands would be for us.

The guesthouse accommodations on the trek were very basic. I'm getting more spoiled as I get older! Would have been more my style in my 20's.

If you want to go to trekking in Nepal, spend time on a stair master. They don't mess around with their hiking. Hire a guide, preferably Niraj. If you forget any trekking essentials at home, everything is available to buy or rent here for cheap. There's even a North Face store if you want the real deal.

Scotty having momo's.
On our last day here we decided to visit another Buddhist temple. When people were telling us about it they forgot to mention the stairs.





Goodbye Nepal, next stop the Maldives!

No comments: