Sunday, October 1, 2017

Kathmandu

We finally have good internet so I'll try and play catch up. When I last blogged we were leaving India and headed to Nepal. Scotty wasn't feeling well when we left India but was much better by the time we reached Nepal, but that's when my stomach issues started. Scotty had responded well to antibiotics so I was just waiting for mine to kick in.

Kathmandu is much smaller than Delhi, only 1 million people, but incredibly dusty. While Delhi's pollution is bad, the dust is actually worse as it feels more at face level-almost everyone wears a face mask.  Our hotel is in the Thamel-trekking central, and has a backpacker feel. You can buy knockoff product left and right for your trek. At this shop I marveled at how many different colors of North Face puffy coats were available, and she said "oh, that's because we make them in the back room!"

Internet isn't as fast here so I'll be uploading smaller blogs.

We took a tour of Kathmandu and visited three important sites. I have to admit that I wasn't feeling great for this part so while I took quite a few photos I don't have great info regarding their importance. First up was Bhaktapur Square where the 2015 earthquake destroyed many of the more important monuments, and many of the buildings are held up by wood braces.




This important monument is in the process of being rebuilt after the earthquake.






We stopped to try the local treat, called Ju Ju or something? Anyways it's a mix between yogurt and custard and it was delicious!





No comments: