Thursday, September 21, 2017

Delhi

We visited Delhi today. The US is 3x bigger than India, but India has 4x more people. Delhi is the second largest city in the world with a population of around 25million people. The state of Washington has 7million people. It's loud, crowded, polluted, noisy, with lots of traffic. 

Our first stop was at Qutab Minar, built in the 11th century. This was the first Muslim structure in India, and we were told that the builders had a hard time finding Muslim artisans so they used Hindu workers instead. The workers included both Hindu and Muslim themes in their work.






From there we traveled to an active Mosque. I should have been paying more attention to the name but it was hot, crowded, and I was wearing a robe thingy for modesty. We took many photos of others, but we were very popular with the visitors as well. I'm told that many of the tourists come from small towns and don't see many white people.






From there we took a bike rickshaw ride thru Old Delhi. The pictures are chaotic-it's hard to really grasp the experience without the noise (loud) and smells (both good and bad), so you'll just have to imagine.















Then we visited a Sikh temple. The temple was interesting, but the best part is the kitchen which serves more than 10,000 people every day for free!




This beautiful lady was visiting the temple in her lovely sari.

How I feel about Delhi-not a huge fan. The rest of the places we went were amazing! Delhi was just overwhelming without any of the charm.


Last, we said goodbye to our trusty car (Tata Safari) and driver Monu Gujab. Monu delivered us to each location safely, and answered thousands of questions about Indian/Hindu culture, geography, history, and daily life. We will miss him!







1 comment:

Unknown said...

Omg 25M people. I can't even imagine. Yur sniffer must be on overload! Looks like lots of friendly people..